Elderberry Calendula Cold and Flu ElixirIngredients
1 C fresh (or 2/3 C dried) calendula flowers
1 C fresh (or 2/3 C dried) elderberries
1/2 C fresh (or 1/3 C dried) elderflowers
1/2 C fresh (or 1/3 C dried) rose hips
2 tbsp fresh (or 1 tbsp dried) orange peel
1 tbsp fresh (or 1 tsp dried) ginger
Honey ( Or Honey Alternative such as Bee Free Honee for Vegan option)Directions
- Fill a clean, sterilized quart jar (4 cup capacity) with herbs.
- Add brandy, pouring until herbs covered by 1-2 inches of brandy and jar is approximately 3/4 full.
- Add honey (or Honee), leaving 1 inch of space at the top of the jar.
- Poke chopstick into jar to release any trapped air bubbles and ensure brandy and honey are coating herbs.
- Put cap on and label jar with ingredients and date.
- Let steep for 4-6 weeks in a cool, dark place, shaking daily.
- Filter elixir by pouring through a fine mesh filter or several layers of cheesecloth over a bowl or wide-mouth jar. Press the marc (plant material) to squeeze out every last drop of elixir.
- Compost the marc and cap and label the elixir.
At the first symptoms of a cold or flu coming on, I take 2-3 teaspoons of elixir every two to three hours. Frequent doses are the key to effective treatment! Listen to your body to tailor the dosage to your needs.
Via: Herbal Academy of New England see original post HERE which has information on how these herbs help to protect you from and battle against colds and flu.